Sunday, October 16, 2011

We're here for the long run

Well, we've now been back here for almost 2 weeks. Over the last couple weeks, Alivia's condition has been all over the place.  They finally got her to a point within the first couple of days that they felt she was doing well.  But last weekend things started to change.  She was ok through the weekend, but by Monday morning, she sounded very congested and was just uncomfortible.  Her abdomine stared to enlarge so they did a paracentisis to remove some fluid.  the rest of the week was a lot of ups and downs.  She would be good for a day and then have an aweful night or vice versa.  We did a  lot of procedures this week including ultrasounds, chest xrays, echos, more xrays and lots and lots of labs.  and she received a blood transfusion because her blood count was down. 

Friday, we had a really good day. She was happy and smiling and playing much of the day.  She did receive some packed red blood cells that afternoon and she really perked up after that. Saturday was a complete 180 though. She was back to being way uncomfortible and not being able to breath very well due to congestion. She developed a fever.  As the day went on, she seemed to get worse and worse.  It is so hard to watch her go through that.  She just was so restless and couldn't be comforted. She only catnapped so she was so exhausted.  After shift change, our new nurse decided it was time to give her a dose of oxygen to see if that helped. It seemed to for a short while, but then she started declining again.  At midnight, we took her down for another chest x ray.  After that she finally settled down enough that she was able to sleep for a longer stretch of time.  I didn't hear much out of her during the night so she must have had an ok night.

This morning, they did another chest x ray.  There was quite a noticeable difference between the one at midnight and this mornings.  Her lungs are either showing some collapse or have some fluid in them. They have not determined which it is yet.  They decided it was time to be more aggressive with this so they moved her to PICU this afternoon so that she could have one-on-one nursing attention to stay on top of her condition and also so they could treat her respiratory problems more efficiently with higher oxygen and CPAP if needed.

It has been a very emotional morning for me and very emotional weekend for Ryan.  He saw such a huge decline in her condition since last weekend. It was very hard for him. This morning was the hardest for me. I was ok until we went to church. I think the spirit just touched me and started the tears flowing and I've had a hard time getting them to stop since then.  It was after church when they decided to move her over to PICU so that was just one more blow for us.  She was really struggling to breath and was quite non-responsive to us.  That just kills me.  I have not seen a smile out of her since first thing Saturday morning and she just seems to not see us at all when we are talking to her or trying to get her attention.  It is like she doesn't recognize us. It is just breaking my heart to watch her going through this. 

I guess the bright spot in all of this is that it puts her in better position on the list and gives her more priority. Since she had a fever, we are uneligible for a liver for the next 48 hours. But once she's been without fever for 48 hours, the liver game is on.  And we're gonna win this game!

Please keep Alivia in your prayers.  This has been hard all along, but right now I think is the hardest point we've had in a long time.  I feel like our baby is fighting for he life and it is breaking my heart.  We need all the prayers we can get so that we can have our baby back.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

We're back!

Life flight souvenir t-shirt.  The is the most expensive shirt Livi will EVER own.
Well, I guess I jinxed us by writing the last post saying how well Livi was doing.  Monday evening Livi developed a fever. It happened so fast. she had been fine all day Monday, but by that night, things weren't going so good.  At 630 her temperature was up to 100.0 so I called the liver doctor and told him what was going on.  As a precaution, he had us go to the hospital in rexburg and have them check her out.  By 700 when I got up there and the nurse took vitals, her temperature had reached 100.7.  They started her on IV and ran labs.  She had had labs done earlier that day that the home health nurse had run.  The results from the night time labs were noticeably worse than just a few hours earlier.  After the ER doctor consulted with the liver doctor and the local pediatrician, they decided that it would be best to just get us back down the Primary's.  They arranged for air transport for us to go down.  I ran home and got my suitcase and stuff and got back just in time to meet the ambulance that was taking us to the airport to catch the plane.  This was about midnight.  We got to SLC about 130 and were transported via ambulance to the hospital.  Luckily we were able to just go right to the room.  We got settled and by about 3 am, I was finally able to get a few hours of sleep.  Ryan drove down and got here about 530 am.

After doing a few more labs, they said that her levels were all out of whack.  This was good and bad. Good because it increased her PELD score to 39. Bad because she was a very sick little girl.  They weren't sure if there was infection or what exactly was causing the fever.  They did an ultrasound so that they could locate a pocket of fluid so they could pull some out to see if there was infection in it.  There was not.  They cultured her blood, which didn't show any signs of infection either.  They think it is just her liver that is causing the fever.  After getting her on some fluids, they have gotten the numbers headed in the right directions.  As of this morning, they said that she is in much better shape then she was yesterday.  They increased what she could take orally so that should help her keep hydrated.