Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bringing things into perspective

  I told Corey that I would like to write a post on Alivia's blog. Why I've had the urge to do this I don't know. When Corey first called me with the question asking if I wanted to make a trip to Primary Childrens the thought entered my head that our son had really hurt himself this time. This may have been a situation easier to deal with, but I don't know that for sure. Then her next words were Alivia is sick and we would need to meet with a specialist. The feelings that entered into my heart next were those of guilt. Thinking that I should have been there with my wife and baby.
   As things began to develop that afternoon panic began to set in. I just couldn't understand or even maybe just didn't want to know or realize that something could be wrong with our perfect little baby. By this time Corey had already heard from the Dr. and the nurse from Primary Childrens explaining to us what was going to happen when we arrived. Arrangments for our other 3 children were made, and bags were packed. Feeling something wasn't complete yet I went through bags and other belongings to make sure nothing was left. Then the missing piece entered my head our baby needed a blessing. As I made a few phone calls to make this happen I found myself rehearsing a blessing in my head. A good friend of ours came over and we blessed Alivia.
   Corey has kept you all informed about what has been happening with Alivia. I would like to share a few thoughts of how this has changed our whole family from my perspective. First of all it didn't take long for us to realize how precious tiny moments like little smiles, giggles, hugs, and funny little comments from heavenly fathers children really are. As we sat in the hospital for even the first few hours. I realized those things weren't present at the time. Next thing that really hit me was the phone calls and text from concerned family, Ward members, and people we associate in our little community. Everyone willing to help out in anyway that you would let them. Feeling a little prideful I just responed we are doing just fine. I read in a conference talk one time that it is our responsablity to accept service and charity when it is offered and needed. I began to let those help that offered and quickly began to feel a burden lifted from my mind.
    I would like also to talk about the power of the Lord. Through the duration of our stay at the hospital both Corey and I in the back of our minds knew that things were going to be just fine. The first couple of days during the testing and elimination process we were completely uncertain of things. We called our bishop in hopes for some answers. Once we knew what situation we were in we contacted our bishop again and asked if he would put together a fast for our baby girl. Without hesitation he began to make phone calls. I talked to him later that evening and he said word had been traveling fast most of the last people he contacted already knew about it. Its hard to sit here and write about the feelings I had when I heard this, but it made me realize the speed of which our Father in Heaven can act. I can't thank those people enough that fasted and prayed for Alivia. Your fast and prayers where well recieved. The gospel and priesthood have been such a blessing in our lives, especially in these last weeks.
    I would just like to thank my parents and Corey's parents for their support. A great big thanks to my aunt and uncle for opening their home to us while we were there. To the Copleys for all their help. Corey's sister Elissa. Our beloved bishop and his concern for our family. My uncle Neil. And very special thanks to all those who prayed for Alivia.
   I just want to close with a few thoughts of how this has taught me as a father. I now have a better understanding of why I have a family here on earth. As I look back on the short years that I have been a father I realize that I haven't always done this with the enthusiasm that it requires. My wife and children are by far the biggest blessing that I have recieved in my life. I can't tell you how many times I have lost my temper over things that in such a short amount of time have no affect on our lives at all. This event in our lives has proven to be more  of a blessing than tragedy. I have learned that I need to take those moments in life that are a test of faith and patients and use them to strengthen my testimony and faith in Father  in Heaven.
    Again I am so thankful for all those who helped when we needed it most.

No comments:

Post a Comment